Tropical Storm Isaias left behind a good amount of damage and its fair share of problems. During the process of recovering from this event, we want to provide a few reminders on how best to stay safe during the aftermath of a tropical storm.
5 Safety Tips After a Storm
- Stay out of floodwater. Co everything possible to stay out of any floodwaters. Don’t drive through any flooded areas and obey all flood warning signs. If you can’t avoid passing through floodwater, make sure to wash your hands as soon as possible afterward.
- Never use a wet electrical device. Whether it is a television or a gaming console, don’t use any electrical devices that got wet. Turn off the breaker if the device still plugged in and wait for an electrician to check things out.
- Prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Avoid the use of any fuel-burning appliances and using battery-operated CO detectors to keep yourself protected against the silent killer.
- Stay away from power lines. If you see a fallen power line call the electrical company and stay far away!
- Drink safe water. Eat safe food. Be on the alert for precautions regarding your water supply and keep clean bottled water in the home as a back-up. Toss out food that has been touched by floodwater or may have gone bad in the fridge during a power outage.
How We Can Help
The team at Walsh Brothers Plumbing and Mechanical Services, Inc. wants to make sure that the members of the community know that we are available for your home needs during times like these. We can work with you to install a sump pump that will help protect your home during a flood and we can offer other services that will help make your home safe again after a storm or hurricane.